July 26, 2022

Local Adventures: Ziplining in New York, Texas

New York, TX 75770, USA

 



This post is atrociously late, but I still wanted to share this little adventure I took with one of my nearest and dearest friends.

For those of you who don't know me well, one of my worst fears is heights. (Seriously, I was 24 before anyone managed to talk me into getting on a ferris wheel at our local fair.)

So when my old college roommate asked me if I wanted to go ziplining with her, I obviously had a panic attack enthusiastically said yes!


We carpooled to New York, Texas--a little town, seemingly in the middle of nowhere--for the adventure of our lives.

We scheduled a tour with New York Texas Zipline Adventures (which is not to be confused with just New York Zipline Adventures! We actually made the mistake of scheduling with the latter initially, but we were able to get everything sorted out in the end.)

There were two options for the tour: six lines or nine lines. 

We were given the option to start with the first six lines and then finish out the last three afterward if we wanted to, so we decided to start with six.



The staff was friendly and welcoming, and there were several places for photo ops! The staff was even cool with taking our pictures for us, since they know that many people have never experienced something like this before. The surrounding area is absolutely beautiful, and I never got tired of the view.

Before starting the tour, they made sure everyone was fitted with the proper equipment, and they went over a quick safety session with everyone in our group to help us practice and feel comfortable before going on the actual ziplines. This was the point where my hands started sweating because I knew this was actually happening. (This was also the point where I finally admitted to my college roomie that I had never actually been on a real zipline before... Only the little ones kids get to do at summer camp.)




As soon as the "training" was over, it was finally time for the real adventure to start.

When I made the first jump, I was so terrified... but then came the second jump... and the third...

Before I knew it, I was laughing and couldn't stop smiling. I was having the time of my life.

Once I let go and was in the air, it felt like I was flying. By the end of line three, I told my roommate that I 100% wanted to add the last three lines to our trip. It was addictive, and I couldn't get enough.

The thing that stood out to me most during this process was the fact that our tour guides made a point to be personable with each of us, and they even attempted to remember all of our names and make conversation with us when we seemed nervous. (They also enjoyed teasing us a little bit by making light of how far the drop was for each stop because laughter really does help the nerves.)




Frankly, I was sad when the trip was over; I felt like I could have stayed there all day long... but hiking and ziplining worked up quite an appetite, so we said goodbye to the Zipline Adventures staff after taking plenty of photos and videos to share with all of our friends.

I was so glad I decided to face my fear of heights and try something new. Every chance I get, I highly recommend New York Texas Zipline Adventures to anyone who is looking to face their fears and have a little adventure. Everything from the pricing to the staff was excellent, and I would love to come back for a visit sometime.




After leaving New York, we drove a little way out to Ben Wheeler, Texas to stop at The Forge Bar and Grill for some of their homemade pizza. If you read my blog, you know I love supporting small/local restaurants, so this was a real treat for me.

I tried the spinach artichoke pizza (de-lic-ious!!) and my roommate created a yummy-looking supreme pizza. 

I'm a sucker for some brick oven pizza, y'all...


At the end of the day, it was a wonderful experience all the way around. I pushed myself out of my comfort zone, I faced my biggest fear, I discovered a new thing I enjoy doing, and I got to do all of that with a precious friend.

It doesn't get much better than that, in my book.

Post a Comment