February 13, 2021

Traveling the World From Home: Boba Tea (Evergreen Coffee and Dessert in Longview, Texas)


 In this week's blog post, I continue with my "Traveling the World From Home" series, where I try new food at locally-owned restaurants and cafés. This series has been an interesting topic to cover because it has not only challenged me to go out of my way to find small businesses to support, but it has also helped me to feel a deeper connection to my community and make me more excited to talk about it with people. Word of mouth is a powerful tool in marketing, so we shouldn't discount the power of simply sharing our experiences with others.
But back to the topic at hand...

This week, I've decided to talk about one of my favorite local cafés, which happens to be one of the only places within a 30-minute drive where I can get boba-tea. Granted, this place does have other drinks and treats, but it's the boba-tea that keeps me coming back for more.

The Place

Evergreen Coffee and Dessert is located in Longview, TX. It is a snug little café with a cute interior that fills you with an wonderful sense of hygge. 

Hygge, noun
hyg·​ge | \ ˈhyü-gə
Definition of hygge
: a cozy quality that makes a person feel content and comfortable
(definition provided by Merriam-Webster online dictionary)

See what I mean?



In short, the place is adorable.

But what about the boba?

Before I break down my love for Evergreen's boba tea, I feel that I should give a brief overview of what "boba-tea" actually is for all of you out there who may not be familiar with it.




About the Food

Boba Tea is originally a Taiwanese treat, made up of a milk-tea base and mixed with flavored tapioca pearls. As this drink has grown in popularity across the world, more flavors and variations of the original have been created. Now, in addition to the original, chewy tapioca pearls, there is "popping boba" which essentially is made of little "bubbles" of flavored juice that "pop" as you drink it. Dozens of different tea flavors are also available to mix and match with different boba flavors as well. In fact, there are so many variations of boba-tea, there are entire YouTube channels dedicated to it. 

In the end, boba-tea is brilliant because it mixes texture with your drink. Granted, many people do not like boba due to this unusual texture, but others find it completely addicting because it is such a unique way to enjoy a refreshing drink! (Can you guess which group I fall into?)

While Evergreen Coffee is technically not a traditional Taiwanese Boba place, they have taken this fun Taiwanese treat and made it their own! In fact, they are constantly sharing new flavors and combinations on their Instagram and Facebook pages, helping the excitement for boba tea to always stay fresh.


The Experience

I've been to Evergreen so many times in the past month and ordered several different variations of the boba-tea. In fact, I've been so often, they reminded me about their rewards program, and I instantly regretted not signing up sooner because I would've had a free drink already. Oh, well... c'est la vie.

All that aside, as much as I've frequented this place in the past month, I still haven't worked my way through the entire boba menu. But I have faith in myself.

A small boba-tea is $3.50 and a large is $5.50. I personally always end up going for the large size because who has time for a small? Go big or go home, am I right?

At this point in time, I have only tried the traditional milk-tea base with strawberry popping-boba, mango popping-boba, and lychee jelly. Each of these combos provided an entirely different experience, but each one was delicious and unique.

The popping-boba definitely provides my favorite texture. So far, I think the milk-tea + mango is my favorite flavor-combo because it kind of reminds me of a dreamsicle. (You know, the creamy orange-sherbert icecream bars?) But part of what I love about Evergreen is that they are always adding new flavors to try! So there's always something new to explore.


The Takeaway

I could have easily spent close to $7.00 had I gone to Starbucks for a drink of a similar size. However, in choosing to visit a smaller, locally-owned café, I ended up getting to try their take on a Taiwanese drink for a cheaper price and I was helping to support a local business in my community.

As I continue to explore new places in my community, I'm struck with a deep appreciation for how wide an array of cultures are represented in the food community in my area. Whether it is shown in traditional foods cooked in family-owned restaurants or through street-food vendors and unique cafés showing their spin on different cuisines, so many different places and people are represented in different dishes. Even though I have been traveling only a short way, I am already enjoying the journey.

I encourage all of you reading this to explore your own community for unique foods and locations (if you are able). Especially during this pandemic, I think we often get it ingrained in our minds that all of the exciting places are elsewhere and that adventures can only be had after an expensive airplane or train ride. In actuality, we can enjoy the world right where we are! Beauty and excitement can be found in something as simple as a cup of tea, and I hope that this series can help to remind you of that fact.

Until next time, stay safe and eat well!


Pin this post!





24 comments

  1. Yummy! What a fun series! Travelling the world from home :) I love boba especially when mangos are in season! Thanks for sharing x

    www.lynnmumbingmejia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lynn! :) Ooohhhh, I love mango too. I bet fresh mango in boba would be amazing.

      Delete
  2. I love finding little gems like this at home! I love that we live in such a diverse area where we're able to get fun food and drink items like this! I miss my bubble teas. Now I need to go find some places near me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sarah! :) Doesn't it just feel so special to find a little hidden place like that? It almost feels like it was put there just for you, lol! I hope you find a good place near you! xx

      Delete
  3. Evergreen Coffee and Dessert looks like such an adorable place! It looks super relaxed and a great place to unwind! I've never actually tried boba tea before but it looks delicious and sounds fascinating. You've got me wondering if there is anywhere local to me that serves it! It's great that you're able to support local places and get better acquainted with the local area. This is one of the blessings to come out of lockdown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading + commenting! You should definitely research your area & see if you can find any "hidden" places like this. I sometimes google "small restaurants near me" or something like that & see what comes up, or I even just drive around until I stumble across something interesting. :)

      Delete
  4. This is such a cute post! I love that you are finding ways to "travel from home." Thanks for sharing this article. Evergreen Coffee and Desserts looks so cute and will have to add it on my Texas bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I definitely hope you get a chance to visit if you are in the East Texas area! :)

      Delete
  5. Yum, I love boba tea! I haven't had any of the bubble tea spots in my city but now I'm definitely going to have to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sydney! :) You really should! Every place always puts their own spin on it & it's a new experience every time. I hope you get a chance to experience it! <3

      Delete
  6. Great post! This was really informational, and I've tried boba tea before but I wasn't a fan of the boba haha. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Raven! :) yeah, boba does have a unique flavor/texture... I highly recommend trying the "popping boba" as it is not chewy like typical boba pearls. Who knows, you might find that you like it in the new way! xx

      Delete
  7. I have never tried Boba Tea before. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a nice treat! You should try it if you ever get the chance.

      Delete
  8. Lovely post! I miss bubble teas. I used to buy that when I was in college, but not anymore haha I might need to buy it later. This is such a fun reading - thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, yes, boba/bubble tea seems to be a big college student treat, though I'm not sure why? I'm glad this post reminded you of it! Thanks for reading + commenting, Merry!

      Delete
  9. This looks absolutely delicious. I wonder if I can find it here in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, I'd be curious if you are able to find it in Italy as well? Be sure to let me know if you do!

      Delete
  10. Great post! I love the idea of trying new and small restaurants and cafes! I've never tried boba tea before but I would like to try one time it in one of my local cafes because it sounds nice. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Yes, smaller places are always so cute and special! I hope you get a chance to try boba sometime.

      Delete
  11. This is such a cute idea! I love trying local cafes as I find you can often find some hidden gems that way!

    Katie | katieemmabeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Katie! :) YES, hidden gems are the best!! It just makes it feel like that place was put there just for YOU. Xx

      Delete
  12. I've never tried boba (i know!!) and this place looks absolutely amazing, I love how simple yet nice it is! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhh, you MUST try it sometime! Even if you don't like it, you should definitely try it just to say you did.

      Delete