February 6, 2021

Traveling the World From Home: Supporting Local Businesses (Panda Korea in Longview TX)

At this point in time, I know that many of us out there wish we could travel right now. For some of us, it's not possible simply due to finances; for others, it is due to the issues from Covid-19. Either way, we wish we could drop everything to explore the world, and we can't do it.


Instead of feeling sad about it, I've realized that I can experience some of the fun of traveling right here at home!

I can do this by supporting small, local businesses.

You see, I'm blessed enough to be living in an area in Texas that is rural, yet still a melting-pot. My nearest two cities have a wide range of different cultures, nationalities, and... (wait for it)... foods. We have access to everything ranging from Indian food, Greek food, Japanese food, Italian food, Mexican food, Vietnamese food, and (to my joy) Korean food. Believe it or not, many of these small businesses are run by people who immigrated to the US and started up businesses of their own. Furthermore, lots of local restaurants purchase their fresh items (like veggies and meats) from local sellers as well, bringing in even more income to the community.


Sadly, many of these small businesses are struggling or completely failing due to how Covid-19 has affected the world. These failing businesses not only affect the community as a whole from an economic standpoint, but they also directly affect the families and people who own them and work in them. Good food is disappearing and people's access to exploring different cultures is also disappearing.


That's why supporting local restaurants and businesses is so vital! By buying amazing food and products that you might otherwise buy from a chain location, you are helping people within that community with real lives and real stories. And in the meanwhile, you're enjoying food that is likely more authentic and tasty than what you would get from a common chain restaurant. 

There is literally no downside.


Because I am so passionate about this topic and because I am unable to travel at the moment, I have decided to start a blog series about visiting local restaurants where I will try authentic cuisines. Not only am I "taking a trip" to these different places through exploring new food, but I will also be supporting my community by choosing to support small businesses.


All that to say, I began my "tour" at a local Korean restaurant called "Panda Korea" in Longview, TX. Thankfully, I had a dear foodie-friend by my side, so I was able to enjoy some good conversation along with the delicious food we were served.


We arrived at 5:30 in the evening, so we ordered from the dinner menu. I ended up ordering the Hot Stone Bibimbap with beef and an appetizer of Fried Vegetable Dumplings. This was served with traditional kimchi, 3 different side dishes, and a hot of soup-of-the-day.



For those of you who don't know what bibimbap is, allow me to explain.


Bibimbap is a traditional Korean dish, made up of rice, meat, and a ton of veggies. My particular bowl included carrots, bean sprouts, cucumber, mushrooms, and (I believe) onion. This bowl is also topped with a raw egg, which is then cooked in the hot stone bowl as it is stirred. The dish is also traditionally served with gochujang sauce, which is bright red, sweet and spicy, and made out of chili paste.


Lots of Westerners who try it say that it reminds them of a deconstructed sushi roll––and I can see where they are coming from. There are a lot of the elements of sushi in this bowl, but the flavors of the combo with the gochujang sauce made it so different from sushi! And when I added in each of the different side dishes with a bite, it changed the flavors all over again.


The kimchi (the 2nd dish from the right) is fermented cabbage with many spices, and it had a very powerful, tangy flavor with a slightly spicy kick. When I added that onto my spoonful of bibimbap, it provided a delightful crunch. Out of all the side dishes, the kimchi was my favorite. If I'm completely honest, I probably could've eaten an entire bowl of it and been completely happy.


The cucumber kimchi (3rd from the right) is pickled cucumbers in spices and a sauce. The cucumber kimchi carried an entirely different flavor from the regular kimchi though! It was vinegary, subtly sweet, and incredibly crunchy. It was a close runner-up to the regular kimchi.


The last two dishes (far right and far left) were unknown to me, but they were both sweet. The dish on the far left was a sweet potato dish (perhaps gamja-jorim?), but I didn't have a chance to ask. The dish on the far right was made up of chopped apples and pineapples, smothered in a creamy sauce. Both were definitely refreshing after the tangy and spicy flavors from the rest of the meal.


The soup was also delicious and warm. It was a very light broth with green onions and a thinly cut vegetable that somehow reminded me of a mix of a potato and an onion from the texture. Upon doing some research, however, I believe it was muguk or Korean Radish Soup. 


Sadly (but not really), the food smelled SO GOOD, I wasn't able to control myself and take more photos or ask a ton of questions. Next time I go back, I hope to find out a little more about each dish, but for now, I am incredibly happy with my first-ever experience with Korean food. It's even better than I imagined.


The meal itself cost $10.99 (including the side-dishes, soup, and water) + $3.99 for the 5 vegetable dumplings.


I could have easily spent $25+ for a similar meal at a bigger restaurant or at a chain in a bigger city, but I doubt the atmosphere would have been as comfortable and the food would have been as delicious.


I am in the process of planning the next leg of my "food tour," so stay tuned for my next post about it. In the meanwhile, stay safe and eat well.

~~~

UPDATE (02/08/2021)

It has only been 4 days since I ate here, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I went back again today at lunchtime to enjoy yet ANOTHER bibimbap... Definitely worth it.


Pin this post!

 



44 comments

  1. I love this series ideas! I miss travelling more than anything and can't wait until it's safe to go again. Supporting local restaurants is a great way to keep the travel spirit alive - I can't wait until restaurants open up again in the UK for that experience xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Della! :) Yes, I am so excited about this new series! It makes me *almost* feel like I'm traveling again, lol! Ahh, I forgot that the UK is still under lockdown... I hope you all get to come out of it again soon. Xx

      Delete
  2. Very good post. You have penned down a nice review about the Korean restaurant you dined in recently. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cedric! :) Thank you so much for reading + commenting.

      Delete
  3. I miss traveling so much, and I agree that supporting small businesses from the luxury of home is a great way to do it right now.

    Honestly I love Kimchi so much but no where near me does it, so my mouth was almost watering at this post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kayleigh! Ugh, yes, kimchi is sooo good!! I've heard so many non-Koreans say that they couldn't eat it, but I couldn't get enough of it, lol! :) Aww, I hope you can get some of your own soon!

      Delete
  4. Really great post, I've never had korean food as far as I know but the dishes in your photos look delicious! I also don't live anywhere near somewhere where I can get korean food, but when then UK opens back up I'll definitely be taking a trip to London to try some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thanks for reading + commenting! :) You should definitely try it if you ever have the chance! It has some very unique flavors & was very filling. Aww, I hope the UK opens back up for you all soon. Xx

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of visiting small business while you can't travel! I really can't wait to try the Bibimbap, I started learning Korean during the first lockdown and started getting interested in their culture and boy, there's so much to learn! I am surely going to follow along to read more xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cristina! In case you can't tell, I'm really excited for this series, lol! XD Ahhh, I started learning Korean during lockdown as well. It's been fun to learn so far, but it's definitely different than any language I've ever studied. I'm glad to have found a fellow Korean student! Xx

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love that you're shining a light on some of your favorite small businesses and restaurants! I'm excited to see what else you share in this series! All of this food looks so delicious, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! I'm definitely looking forward to this series as well! I feel like smaller "mom & pop" restaurants don't get enough love as it is, so I'm excited to eat yummy food + share about these little places that bring me joy.

      Thanks for reading + commenting! Xx

      Delete
  7. what a great review, so in depth! And such a bargain too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia! I'm ready to right more restaurant reviews!

      Delete
  8. Brilliant idea for a series. Small
    Businesses need our support now, more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading + commenting, Beth! It's very true...

      Delete
  9. Yum! This looks so delicious! And yes, I agree, supporting small and local businesses is so important right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Charity! :) Thank you so much for reading + commenting. YES, the food was delicious. And it tastes even better knowing that it's helping my community.

      Delete
  10. This is very thoughtful blog. Businesses are suffering everywhere in the world so I totally share the same sentiments about supporting local.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! It's so heartbreaking to see how many businesses are affected! If enough of us supporters band together, maybe we can keep it all going. <3

      Delete
  11. I love this series so much! I can't wait to travel again because the food is one of the best aspects when you are travelling. I love that you are supporting small businesses, they are my go to when I want to shop for anything now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I AGREE, the food is one of my favorite bits of travel!! I'm loving all of the small-business supporters here in this comment-section!

      Delete
  12. OMG! Saw this on your instagram and it made me crave it instantly! Korean food is so expensive where I live :( I'm not too sure why compared to other asian cuisine so I'm unable to have it often. Hopefully later this month or next month, I could pick up some Korean food! Thanks for sharing x

    www.lynnmumbingmejia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lynn! :) GIRL, IKR?? Bibimbap is amazing. Awww, that's so sad! I hope you get to satisfy your craving soon. Hang in there! Xx

      Delete
  13. Yum, that Bibimbap looks amazingly good. What kind of meet do they use? I've never tried it but it is now on my food bucket-list to try. What a great way to support local businesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was divine... So bibimbap can have essentially any kind of meat in it! I get mine with bulgogi (thinly sliced beef), but my friend who went with me actually got octopus in hers! It all really just depends on the restaurant + which ingredients they have access too. :) I do hope you find a good place to try it sometime! Exploring with new food is such an exciting adventure!

      Delete
  14. This post made me so hungry! The Bibimbap sounds and looks so tasty... I am going to have to go out and explore my town for unique restaurants soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ellie! :) YAY, that was the goal, lol! I'm excited to hear you getting excited about your local restaurants as well! Xx

      Delete
  15. Omg this post has made me so so so hungry! These dishes look incredible and it's great supporting local businesses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, I'm glad I was able to make this post appetizing, lol! They were delicious, but these photos still don't do them justice.

      Delete
  16. such a great idea! and that bibimbap looks so good... I live in Mexico, so we're good on tacos, but lacking on bibimbap!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely LOVE Bibimbap! I had it for the first time in one of my meal delivery kits. It's been probably a year since I last had it now, and I totally forgot about it until reading this! Definitely going to be making that this week now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, another bibimbap fan!! I love meal delivery kits... You always get to try foods/recipes you never would've thought to try before. Enjoy!! xx

      Delete
  18. I so love bibimbap. I get beyond happy whenever I'm front of authentic cuisines like this. Great post.
    I hope I'll find a place near me where I can indulge with bibimbap this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Rita! :) Food in general makes me happy, but authentic food always provides a special *something*

      I hope you get your bibimbap!!! xx

      Delete
  19. Wow beautifully described your local area, so lucky for the choice of food.
    Thanks for recommending different ways to support local economy, love the ideas..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! :) I hope you get the chance to also support local places too! It's such a cool feeling.

      Delete
  20. Mmm that sounds so good! I've been wanting to try cucumber kimchi for a while now, so maybe I will have to try and make some. There is a Korean lady called Maangchi who has a great YouTube channel with all kinds of authentic Korean recipes, and she has a recipe for cucumber kimchi that I want to try. I love going to smaller local restaurants! I don't get to do it often, but earlier this year my brother and I went to an awesome Japanese ramen place in Columbus called Meshikou, and we absolutely loved it. Maybe I will have to try and find a local Korean place too ^_^

    (I my comment doesn't post twice; I tried to post a very similar comment to this earlier, but something went wrong and Blogger ate it haha! If it posts two comments, feel free to delete one of them. I don't use Blogger very often, so I'm not sure what exactly went wrong lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely enjoyed the cucumber kimchi! :) Ahhh, yes, I follow her & I love her videos! She's adorable. Oh, that's fun! We have a few ramen places around here too, so I'll have to try out one of those soon.

      (You're all good, no worries, lol!)

      Delete
  21. This all looks so good! We're not so lucky where I am, there are no takeouts at all that offer things that fit my dietary requirements and due to covid, I haven't eaten out since last Match! I can't wait to be able to travel again...even if that's only to another city that actually offers good food! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sophie! Oh, wow... That's a long time. I bet you've had a chance to try out some new recipes though! I hope all of the issues with covid are lifted soon & that we can all return to a semi-normal life again.

      Delete
  22. Great Post! I miss traveling so much so I love your "Travel from Home" ideas. So unique!

    ReplyDelete