February 20, 2021

The 7 Secrets No One Tells You About Moving Overseas


So for those of you who haven't heard, I've previously mentioned how I am hoping to go to South Korea eventually (go read this post, if you haven't heard about it). But this will not be my first time experiencing life overseas because I have lived in Kenya, Africa before. One thing I've noticed is that there are many the little details about living life overseas that "expats" (expatriates) often forget to mention or don't always feel comfortable talking about.
Oftentimes, social media broadcasts the "highlight reel" of our lives, so it can make it difficult to discern between "real life" and "highlight." Many people who travel or live overseas show their "highlight reels" and for people at home, it looks like paradise. So today, I thought I'd shed some light on the more difficult side of this and share a few of the secrets that no one tells you about moving to a new country. 


1. It's scary

It's not scary in the typical sense because you are obviously making the choice to go despite your fear, but it is definitely overwhelming and nerve-wracking. If you think about it, anyone would be nervous about uprooting their entire life to move to a completely new place.

You wonder about what your life will look like once you're settled, you wonder how long it'll be before you get homesick, and you wonder if you're making the right call after all...

2. Immigration is a headache

After you make the decision, jumping through the hoops of mountains of paperwork, visas, and signatures is one of the most overwhelming parts of moving to a new country. There's a lot of standing in line (or "queuing" as my friends from the UK would say), a lot of waiting, and did I mention the paperwork?? However, at the end of the day, you have to be respectful and understanding of the fact that the country you are immigrating to has rules and standards––ones that you must now abide by––so standing in line and filling out forms is really the least you can do to show that you will be respectful during your time in-country. But after you get it all filled out, there's this huge weight that rolls off your back, and you feel as though you could face anything.

3. Culture-shock is real

Of course, once you finally get settled, the culture-shock begins to set in... No matter where you move to, there are always subtle (or not-so-subtle) differences between this new place and your old home.

Whether it is due to the language-barriers, local customs, or even food choices, you eventually remember that you are definitely not a local. Many expats find this exciting at first, but there does usually reach a point where you realize how different this new place is from home and it weirdly hurts your feelings a little bit. This is also usually the point that many people realize that this new country is not what they originally expected. (This isn't always a bad thing though. However, many travelers tend to glamorize and glorify different locations, but you get to see a very different side to a place when you live there for a while.)

You might even catch yourself unintentionally comparing your new home to your old one. While it is a normal and natural thing to do, you can't let it get you down. Many times, we tend to compare and connect "familiar" with "better," but that is dangerous thinking as an expat. You have to constantly remind yourself that just because things are "different" than what you are comfortable with does not mean that they are "bad." If you stay in this line of thinking for too long, you will become bitter and you will not be able to enjoy the beauty and joy that your new home has to offer.

4. You get lonely

Once the culture-shock really sets in, homesickness usually follows. Culture-shock can also make it really difficult to grow roots and make good friends when you are in a new place, so it's easy to feel isolated and lonely. However, it is vital for you to find a community in your new home.

Whether it is through your workplace, a volunteer position, a religious group, or an "Expats in ____" Facebook page, you need to find people with whom you have things in common and can spend time consistently. We humans are social creatures (introverted or not), and meeting with people regularly is vital to our mental and emotional health.

Besides that, it's important to stay in touch with family and friends back home. Thankfully, we live in a time where FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, and many other video-based calling is available, so it is not as difficult as it could be.

5. Time-zones suck

You find this part out very quickly if you end up moving to the other side of the globe. A 1-2 hour time-difference is nothing... Trying to maintain relationships with an 8-15 hour time difference working against you can be a challenge, to say the least. You just have to learn how to time out visits with people so that both parties are able to have time to communicate. Sometimes this may mean one or both parties sacrificing some precious sleep, but it is worth it in the long run if it means maintaining important relationships. 

(Utilizing the "World Clock" on your phone/computer can be an absolute lifesaver.)


6. You feel left-out sometimes

Because of the time-and-space difference, you're going to feel left out sometimes. You may not fully realize it until it begins to happen, but birthdays, graduations, holidays, and major milestones will still carry on without you. Honestly, this part can feel really hurtful if you let it affect you. Part of it is the not-being-there, but part of it is also just feeling lonely and feeling like everyone is enjoying something that you aren't.

The thing you have to remember is that these people usually do miss you and wish you were there, but they shouldn't simply not celebrate or move on with life because you aren't there. On the other hand, they all likely feel similarly about you––you're overseas experiencing so many incredible things that they may never have a chance to experience in their lifetimes. It's a trade-off, so this feeling of being "left behind" or "left out" works both ways.


7. It changes you (more than you realize)

When my time overseas came to an end, I came back completely different. My old friends even told me that I had totally changed during my time across the pond.

Living abroad forces you to become more independent and self-reliant. You are often forced to come out of your shell, do things you've never done, and meet new people, so your comfort-zone eventually grows a little wider. You get exposed to new languages, cultures, and ideas, so your perspective grows. And, believe it or not, that new place somehow becomes a part of you, rooting deep down, and you carry it with you forever. The memories you make, the friends that you meet, the food you tried, the adventures you had, and the feelings that you felt during your time abroad all form into this incredible thing called experience, and it never fully leaves you.

You may not recognize it at the time, but when/if you leave that new place, different songs, sounds, smells, and tastes will instantly teleport you back to specific moments during your time there, making you feel just ever-so-slightly homesick for that place...

In the end, the difficulties are still worth it all.



Pin this post!


 

~~~


World travelers + expats, sound off! How many of you have experienced these feelings during your travels? Did I miss any? What was your experience like?

To all of my non-traveling / homebody friends, would you ever consider moving overseas? If so, where would you go?


34 comments

  1. Thanks so much for your honesty! My boyfriend is half French and also wants to move to Australia, as he's spent months of his life in those countries. But I'm so painfully British and so un travelled, that I've never known if I could cope with moving abroad, so it's interesting to read someone's real life experience on it!

    Katie | katieemmabeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Katie! Oh, wow, that's so interesting! Perhaps if you travelled a bit after lockdown, you could "test the waters" to see if that is something you'd enjoy. I know a lot of my points leaned on the more secretive/negative side, but there are so many amazing things about living abroad.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this super honest post! My best friend lives abroad so reading this made me relate to her in a way - loved it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Della! Aww, that's so awesome! I'm glad this post helped you a little.

      Delete
  3. Living abroad, I can attest to all of these! Expat life is really difficult at times and people dont seem to understand quite how hard. That's why I chose to write about it as well! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy, another experienced expat! *cheers* It really is an amazing experience, but people don't talk enough about the difficult side of it. I loved your post on it!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your honest experience of moving abroad! I've never done it personally but I imagine it must be such a challenging experience. I feel like I'd struggle with the culture shock the most. There must be so many little nuances of my culture that I'm used to and I don't even realise! Despite the challenges, I'm sure it is a hugely rewarding experience! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Culture-shock is definitely one of the hardest parts. There is a huge learning-curve! But it definitely is rewarding + you learn a lot from it.

      Delete
  5. As someone who's lived in several different countries I can relate. It is, however, an enriching experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, fellow expat! *waves* Yes, I agree; living abroad is one of the most enriching experiences you can have... I just wish people shared the whole story more often, because it isn't as easy as social media makes it out to be.

      Delete
  6. I love your honest account of this! I'm not sure it's something I could do, I'm more of a domestic traveler although I have been to a couple other countries. I think it takes a lot of courage to move overseas. This is so real and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Domestic travel has it's own value as well! I'll never forget traveling just from Texas to Florida + realizing how different the two places are, even though it's not far at all + I never left the US. All travel takes courage, but that's what makes it so exciting! Xx

      Delete
  7. Korea would be a huge change and definitely scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with all of these comments. I moved abroad and then I recently came back and that is hard too. The biggest issue I had was the time-zones. You think you can keep in contact easily because of technology, but in reality it is broken conversations because you are asleep when they are awake! Still worth it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, yes, coming back is incredibly difficult as well! And I feel you deeply about the broken conversations due to time-zones... It's hard, but you make it work.

      Delete
  9. I think it's great that you shared some of the lesser known emotions that come up during this process. Everyone seems to just share how amazing it is without talking about the difficult parts involved in it too! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed reading! Moving internationally takes you through an entire journey of emotions, and I wish more people shared all of the ins + outs of it to provide a fuller picture.

      Delete
  10. I loved reading your post. I have thought about moving abroad for a long time but have yet to do it. I am sure it will come with struggles, but think the adventure will pay off for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya'll for reading, Texas friends! You should definitely give it a shot. As difficult as it can be, there is so much amazingness that comes out of it as well.

      Delete
  11. I'm really thinking about this post pandemic so a lot to think about. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading this. I agree with everything. I'm from France and lived briefly in Japan before settling in London. Funny enough, the loneliness and the cultural choc hit me harder in London than Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! France, London, and Tokyo are all vastly different places! I can understand the culture-shock being a huge part of that.

      Delete
  13. This was so interesting and I loved everything you mentioned and how you kept it super real.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this!! I've always wanted to live overseas and I hope that sometime in the future I will. I always joke that if the opportunity arose I would move to Copenhagen tomorrow but I know that the idea of it in my head is so different from the reality! It's nice to hear from someone who's experienced it first hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend taking the chance to live overseas for a time if you ever have the chance. It doesn't have to be permanent, but it definitely gives you new perspective. ♥

      Delete
  15. I totally agree with all of these, although I always think of culture shock as more like a wave...it goes up and down. When you have harder moments, you just have to remember it does get better, and you might lift up to one of the *high* points again. I guess the one thing I really wasn't expecting was the reverse culture shock when I got back to the UK. I think that one was more of a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohh, you're right. I think homesickness is the same way. You'll find moments where you feel at home in your new country + other moments where you can't stop thinking about *home*... And reverse culture shock is a HUGE DEAL. I remember getting so overwhelmed when a friend asked me to pick a restaurant after I moved back to the US + I didn't know how to explain how I was feeling.

      Delete
  16. This was a interesting read! I have always wanted to live abroad for some part of my life (not 100% sure, but I love the idea of Canada, Japan or Germany) and I think it is something to think about in terms of the culture shock and time zones etc. Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Japan is an amazing place to live if you want to move abroad. I hope you get a chance to follow your dream at some point! Xx

      Delete
  17. It sounds exactly how I would expect it. Scary ha! I don't think I could ever do it. Siobhan ♡ | Vegan Babe Life

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so true and I agree with every single point you mentioned.I moved around quite a lot,but I always loved it.The anticipation and adrenaline at first,and the reality once you actually arrived.It wasn't always easy.Or fun.You mentioned loneliness as one of the downsides, and that is true. But even though we can use facetime or phone to connect with friends and family back home,at the end of the day, you are still alone and it helped only a little.Well,even a little is sometimes a lot.And yes,finding friends through facebook groups or other means should actually be a must.
    At the end of the day what's important is that it's all an experience, good or bad,it's up to us.Once we decide not to sulk and hate everything new, we begin to enjoy the new country and culture.

    ReplyDelete